Monday, June 30, 2014

Today's Supreme Court Ruling

In the case of Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores and Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Burwell the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the family owned companies. I have to admit I'm a bit shocked. I get it, I'm just shocked. It was a 5-4 ruling in favor of the companies to not have to cover certain birth control options in their employee insurance coverage. I was sure that the results would be in favor of the employees.

I'm not so much upset about this specific case but the situation I currently find myself in (our insurance not covering maternity and not being able to get Medicaid) just makes me wonder what exactly the United States government wants for the average citizen.

My husband works hard every single day for the small company that his father runs. Being a small company they don't have the capabilities to offer insurance for their employees and therefore we have private health insurance. Private health insurance doesn't cover maternity care because (accident or not) it is considered an optional medical condition. Now, the rich white "Christian" politicians don't want me to use birth control and certainly they don't want me to use Plan-B. They also want me to submit to my husband because it's a wifely duty. Once I end up pregnant they don't want me to be on Medicaid, it's preferable for us to go broke paying for doctor and hospital bills. (Side Note: we're fine, don't worry, my doctor has an awesome pregnancy package for uninsured patients so we will not go broke or lose our house or have to get on government assistance. The following is purely hypothetical.) So when we go completely broke, lose our house, and get to the point that we absolutely need government assistance they can call us lazy for not working harder. How does this make any sense?

I know there are people who abuse the system but it's not fair that hard working people and people that just need a little help aren't allowed to get it. It makes me wonder when these politicians are going to draw the line. The state of Texas refused the new Medicaid expansion that was offered with the new Affordable Care Act which is the reason we didn't qualify. We were prepared for this before we got pregnant and weren't planning on relying on this however it would have helped. The more these politicians hold things back from people the more I think of this:



EDIT: Above I said that I don't like the Supreme Court decision but I get it. I'd like to edit to say I don't freaking get it at all. The more I sit here and think about it the more pissed off I get. The Supreme Court is treating these companies as people instead of the corporations that they are just because they're family owned. This is ridiculous. I used a birth control pill more for health reason than conception reasons. When I wasn't on birth control it was hell for me to get out of bed from the cramps and nausea during my period. My mood swings were insane and would have been cause for divorce. Being on the pill helped to regulate my period, tame my cramps, and balance my hormones. Yes, it prevented me from getting pregnant, but that ties into what I wrote about Medicaid and being denied help. We couldn't afford another child after paying the hospital bills from our first pregnancy. We are just now financially stable enough to have another and therefore being on birth control really helped with not being a financial burden to the state. This country is completely ass backwards about certain things and I'm getting really tired of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment