Monday, March 30, 2015

40 Days of Lent

Somewhere 40 days got lost in translation. I'll just admit right now that I obviously don't get how those 40 days work (if you can explain it please do). From Ash Wednesday to Palm Sunday is exactly 40 days. Holy week started yesterday but Lent doesn't actually end until after Easter service which is next Sunday. That would be 47 days. Apparently, some days don't count and therefore you end up with 40 days by next Sunday. I don't like numbers. Numbers make my head hurt.

Last year I gave up fast food. The year before was alcohol. Prior to that was chocolate. Before then I don't remember but the hubs said it was soda. This year I decided to trump all and give up the thing that so many people are addicted to. Social media! I have to say it hasn't been all that bad though. I'd say that the first week and a half was the worst. On day two I told the hubs that I was thinking it was super easy until I realized all I wanted to do was log on Facebook and brag about how easy it is! This was a sure sign of my addiction. At this point I can honestly say that I do enjoy Facebook (and Instagram and Twitter and Tumblr and Ello and Snapchat) I could definitely never go back and be happy. In fact, I don't know if anyone will even see this since I won't be sharing it online! I'm definitely out of the loop when it comes to events and special happenings in people's lives but I think if I made more personal connections offline it wouldn't be so bad.

With that said, I have noticed that I'm much lonelier without social media in my life. I've been a bit of an emotional roller coaster this Lent and I think some of it has to do with not being able to connect to people. I have been going to my bible study and MOPS but I usually don't have time for much socializing beyond that. I'm starting to feel like I need to find something to do for myself without any kids at least every other week. I'm considering Zumba or some other exercise class. It definitely needs to be exercise class because that's another thing I've been slacking on since I haven't been on social media.

Sharing my Weight Watchers weight loss with everyone I'm connected with definitely helps me stay on track. I've been so up and down that I've been embarrassed to go to meetings! I'm going tomorrow but I won't be surprised if I'm above my start weight by about a pound or two.

Finally, I know I'm just picking up like I haven't been MIA for the past several months but there's one big reason I haven't been writing. I have a terrible biological mother and I don't want her finding this blog and seeing pictures of my family. It's the stuff from soap operas. I don't think she'd do anything stupid but I don't want her knowing anything about me or my family. She doesn't deserve to. I'm debating on if I should overcome that fear and just post regularly like I've been dying to do for the past few months or if I should let her control me and just not post anything so she won't see this. There's some deep stuff for your Monday.

If I decide to keep going I'll be posting some pictures later this week. I haven't even introduced the newest member of the family yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment