Wednesday, January 29, 2014

How Did This Happen

Do you ever look at your life and just ask yourself, "How did I get here? How did this happen?" Luckily, at least for me, I'm thrilled with my life thus far. If you've known me for more than 10 years you know I've had my share of asking, "What the hell did I do in my past life to deserve this?" Lately though, life is good.

I'm watching Gibbie run around the living room singing her version of "Hakuna Matata" which isn't exactly what Timon and Pumba were singing but it's awesome. I can't help but wonder why I got so lucky. This beautiful little three year old in my house. Where did she come from? I don't need a biology lesson. I remember the condom isle at Target decision to have a kid instead of buying another box. I remember calling The Hubs at work to tell him I was pregnant because I was high on happy and couldn't wait for him to come home. I remember the record high heat that summer and the 29 hours of labor including three hours of pushing before the docs said I had to have a c-section because this kid was not coming. Oh wait, I'm focusing on positive here, forget that last part (because I can't).

I remember those first few days of staying with my in-laws who I love but don't want to live with and ending up back in the hospital with postpartum hypertension and not appreciating those first few wonderful weeks. Somehow though, that tiny little creature turned into the little girl begging to play hide and seek.

I do stop and think about her never meeting my parents and that makes me sad. The values that they put into me are now being put into Gibbie and that makes me incredibly happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment