Friday, January 31, 2014

Happy New Year

Today we celebrated Vietnamese New Year. It's also Chinese New Year so I don't feel bad that all day I told people we were celebrating Chinese New Year. It's also called Lunar New Year. You can just feel free to call it what you want.

Basically, the day consisted of chiropractor, Target, McDonald's, nap, Dollar General, decorating, and eating. My back's doing better, I always over spend when The Hubs isn't with me, why do I keep eating crap, why didn't I nap when she napped, why didn't I buy this stuff at Target, why didn't I think of buying this stuff at Target, decorating is fun, and eating is fun even when it's an hour late because the noodles you made to go with the stir fry were disgusting so The Hubs had to make rice instead.

And here's the results:

I found a this template online for some Chinese New Year envelopes and put them together.

I was looking for gold coin chocolates but found these dollar chocolates instead! In China they give kids money in the red envelopes for the new year.

I wrote all of our names on the envelope in Chinese. Gibbie's up top, then mama, the bottom says baba which would be the Chinese equivalent to papa.

The Hubs found these online and I printed them on red card stock. We all decorated them with the gold stars.



Gibbie watched a movie on my laptop through most of the envelope making. It must have been good because she wasn't attempting to help.

Here's my finished product on the mantle. (Side note: I need to find an awesome something to hang over the mantle because it's just so freaking bare!)

I got Gibbie a red balloon at Dollar General and wrote "Happy New Year" with a sharpie just so we could say it was a decoration and worth the dollar.

 She knew what was in the envelope but still acted surprised. Just like me when I know what I'm getting for Valentine's Day/Easter/birthday/Christmas.

So there you have it. When we opened the envelope The Hubs finally told me we were celebrating Vietnamese New Year, not Chinese. Well, the decorations are red and gold for both so I didn't mess it up too badly. The noodles I made for dinner were disgusting. We threw them out and made some really yummy sticky rice instead. Of course rice takes a while so dinner was very late. Now, I'm off to eat my chocolate dollar!

No comments:

Post a Comment